Friday, September 28, 2012

Zucchini Tots or Bites

Zucchini is really in full bloom around here.  There is zucchini everywhere.  I saw this pin and had to make the recipe for zucchini tots.  They sounded too good not to try, and very minimal calories per!!

I found the recipe at The Curious Country Cook  I believe Rayna Lynn found the base of the recipe from Kelsey over at the Naptime Chef.  Between these two fine ladies, they have come up with a wonderfully delicious idea!

Here is the recipe I used:
Zucchini Bites
Recipe adapted: The Naptime Chef
yields: 12 mini muffins


1 cups zucchini, grated
1 egg (1 large egg equals 3-4 tbsp when whisked together)
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup cheese (cheddar or Parmesan work the best)
1/4 cup bread crumbs - I used Italian style
Salt and Pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a mini-muffin tin with non-stick spray, set aside.
2. Grate the zucchini and then place in a dish towel to squeeze out the excess water- like when using frozen spinach; if you skip this part, the middle of the zucchini tots will be really soggy while the outside gets crispy and no one wants that.
3. In a bowl combine, the egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, zucchini, salt and pepper.
4. Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, fill the muffin cups to the top. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top is browned and set.

I of course used plain bread crumbs and Locatelli cheese instead of cheddar.  I cooked mine for a little longer too, I wanted them to be very browned, after 18 minutes they were still too pale for me, so mine cooked for about 20-25 minutes.  It's possible that I used more than 1 cup of zucchini and I believe that's why they took a little longer.

Be sure to grease your mini muffin pan before you start...a little bit of cooking spray will do the trick.



Mix your ingredients super well
Put em in the oven after you fill your muffin pan
Finished product...YUMMO!!!




Yup, that's Pinteresting!



No comments:

Post a Comment